Master of Education and Development (MPPD)
International Student English Language Requirement
All students who are applying to UTM:
- Must have a valid two years certificate in TOEFL or IELTS
Students will be enrolled in a faculty programme without undergoing UTM English courses, if:
- TOEFL score: 550 (or 79 IBT) OR
- IELTS band: Band 6
Starting from Semester II 2010/2011,class will be teaching in English as a Second Language. So they must have:
- A valid two years certificate of TOEFL with a score 600 and above OR
- IELTS: band 7 and above (or IBT/CBT equivalent)
However, students with:
- Low or without IELTS (Academic) OR
- Without IELTS/TOEFL OR
- Who will sit for the UTM English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT)
Will have these options:
- Attend and Complete Intensive English Course (IEC) – Low Intermediate
- Attend and Complete Intensive English Course (IEC) – Intermediate
- Attend and Complete IELTS Preparatory Course (IPC)
Education Pre-requisite Courses for those do not have Diploma in Education: –
– LPP1113 Education Foundation
– LPPP1123 Education Foundation
– LPPP1133 Education Foundation III
Students are required to complete a total of 45 Credit Hours according to the following course elements:
University Elective Course
– compulsory for master and PhD programmes
• The Faculty of Education offers UPPF 6033 (Dynamics of Leadership) as the University
Elective Course . Nevertheless, students can also register for other university elective courses (refer to SPS website).
• PhD students who were UTM master’s students can apply for transfer of credit for this course.
|Programme Core Courses (Compulsory)||Elective Courses|
Master (taught course)
Research study I (proposal : chapter 1-3)
Research study II (all chapters 1-5)
• You are advised to take MPPU 1024 (Research methodology) before you register
Research Study I and MPPU 1034 (StaCsCcs) before you register Research Study II.
• RS I and II must be taken towards the end of your study (RS II in your final semester).
• RS I & RS II can not be registered in the same semester
• Regular meetings with supervisor is required (marks given for attendance) and
please check important dates (eg. date of submission) at the faculty’s website (not SPS website). Supervisors have the right to fail students if they do not discuss their work even though students come up with the complete report at the end of the semester
Programme Specialisation Course
Students must complete all taught course elements before registering for dissertation.
– Please refer to the dissertation code guideline when registering for your dissertation.
– Progress report should be submitted every semester starting the semester you register your dissertation.
– Proposal presentation (internal examiners)
– Viva voce (internal examiners)
– Proposal and viva voce can be done in the same semester
– Students must register research code every semester, star(ng from the first semester. Make sure you register the right code.
– Progress report – every semester (GSMS – online)
– Students must submit their proposals by the end of their 2nd semester.
– Proposal presentaCon (2 internal examiners)
– Conversion to PhD – terms and conditon applied
– Viva voce (1 internal and 1 external examiners)
• Viva voce
– NOTICE for thesis submission 3 months prior to submission (GSMS)
– Students are required to publish in at least one refereed journal/ book chapter/ proceeding before being able to submit
– Plagiarism check (eg: turnitin report) – each chapter and overall
– Students must have at least be active for 2 semesters before submiting their thesis.
For more info can go to : Fees
For further information, please contact:
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Azlina Binti Mohd Kosnin
(Academic & Student Development)
Faculty of Education
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Tel : 607-553 4257
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Hasnah binti Mohamed
Academic Manager (Postgraduate)
E-mail : email@example.com
Room : Blok M39
Tel : 07-5533176