AN OVERVIEW OF THE FACULTY OF EDUCATION
Faculty of Education was established in August 1993. The faculty offers various educational programmes at the first degree until the post graduate levels. Every programme is designed to enable students to successfully master the courses that they have selected. In addition, student are trained to equip themselves with the knowledge and skills in Information & Communication Technology (ICT) and the use of Multimedia in Education. The faculty offers courses which specialized in Science and Mathematics Education, Social Education and Engineering Technology. The implementation of the programmes in the Faculty of Education is conducted in cooperation with other faculties in Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM).
AIMS OF THE FACULTY OF EDUCATION
The aims of the Faculty of Education are:-
To provide specialized education in the teaching of science, information technology, multimedia in education and technical and vocational education.
To lead and produce methods and materials in the teaching and learning in order to enhance the acquisition of knowledge.
To provide services and consultations in different educational fields to fulfill the needs of customers.
To inculcate the culture of life-long learning.
Faculty of Education is lead by the Dean and assisted by two Deputy Deans. The implementation of all programs is under the supervision of five Heads of Department. The departments are, Department of Educational Foundation, Department of Science and Mathematics Education, Department of Social Education, Department of Educational Multimedia and Department of Technical and Engineering Education. The IT Manager is in charged of the administration and implementation of the teaching and learning process using computers. Academic matters and general administration of the faculty are lead by the Deputy Registrar (Academic) and one Assistant Registrar (Human Resource Management).
In addition to lecture rooms, Faculty of Education is equipped with other facilities such as workshops, laboratories, studios and etc. as listed below:-
1. Smart Science Laboratory
2. Chemistry/Physics/Science Education Laboratory
3. Innovation and Creativity Workshops
4. Computerised Experiments equipped with PASCO
5. Computer Laboratories
6. Multimedia Laboratories
7. Digital Photography Laboratory.
8. Audio/Video Laboratory
9. Graphic Laboratory
10. Information Technology Training Centre
11. Counselling Laboratory
12. Outward Bound (for Outdoor Education)
13. Sports Science Laboratory
14. Building Construction Workshop
15. Electrical Engineering Workshop
16. Electronic Engineering Workshop
17. Cooking Laboratory
18. Sewing Labrotarory
19. Plastic and Fiberglass Technology Workshop
20. Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technology Workshop
21. Fabrication and Welding Technology Workshop
22. Metal and Machining Workshop
23. Pneumatic and Hydraulic Laboratory
24. Engineering Drawing Room
25. AUTOCAD Laboratory
26. Automotive Workshop
27. Wood Working Workshop
28. Piping Working Workshops
Admission for the first degree programmes is based on Sijil Tinggi Malaysia (STPM) result or its equivalent. Please refer to the detail descriptions in the UTM Prospectus Book. However, candidates who possess recognized diplomas can be considered for credit exemption.
PROGRAMMES OFFERED BY THE FACULTY OF EDUCATION
The programmes which are offered by the faculty aim at providing future teachers/trainees with the knowledge and experiences related to the teaching profession. In general, the curriculum consists of four major components; the compulsory university subjects, specialized subjects, professional and IT subjects and multimedia in education subjects. In addition, students have to undergo teaching practice which is usually held during semester 2 at year 3.
Below are the detail descriptions of each of the components:-
a. Compulsory University Subjects
The subjects are compulsory for every UTM students. They are aimed at thoroughly developing students’ cognitive, affective and psychomotor potentials. The subjects encompass these aspects:-
- Spiritual knowledge (Islamic and Asia Civilization subjects)
- Subjects related to the nation and the society
- Communication (English subject)
- Co-curriculum subjects (physically, socially and culturally oriented)
b. Specialized subjects
The subjects are academically-oriented based on the fields chosen by the students. Future teachers need to study the subjects in-depth for them to master the fields. The specialized subjects are:-
- Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Science)
- Social Education (Islamic Studies, Sports Science, TESL)
- Engineering Technology (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical)
- Living Skills
c. Professional Subjects
The professional subjects will equip future teachers with the knowledge and skills that enable them to become competent and effective teachers. There are two groups of professional subjects; compulsory and elective. The categorization is as follows:-
i. Humanity and Behavior
The subjects taught will increase students’ understanding on the aspects of humanity and behavior, philosophy of education, the use of knowledge and other matters related to education and social development. These subjects are the foundation of the teaching profession. They include Educational Psychology, Sociology of Education, Philosophy of Education and Management in Education.
ii. Teaching and Learning
The subjects focus on the process of teaching and learning. They include Learning Theory, Teaching Theory, Teaching Methodology, Micro Teaching and Laboratory and Workshop Teaching.
iii. Educational Policy
Future teachers will get to know, understand and implement the nation’s vision and policy in order to produce Malaysians who are able to fulfill their roles and responsibilities as khalifah of Allah. The success of our system of education depends on the teachers’ capability to understand and implement every policy. The subjects are; Teaching Curriculum, School Organization and management.
iv. Planning and Evaluation in Education
Future teachers will learn on how to effectively plan, implement, carry out and evaluate their teaching. The subject include Educational Planning and Measurement and Evaluation.
v. Bachelor Degree Project (PSM)
The subject will train future teachers in doing research specifically related to the teaching profession. For this purpose, all final year students have to conduct a project either in the form of research, software development or technological design. The students will be assisted by lecturers who are assigned by the faculty. Every student needs to undergo a viva and writes a report of the project following a specified format.
vi. Practical Work
Besides attaining knowledge and skills through the specified courses, students are also given the opportunity to carry out practical work either in a simulation or real-life situation. The experiences are gained through various training programs such as;
- Clinical Experiences and Fieldwork:- Students are expected to gain experiences through various activities such as micro teaching, observation, interview, case study, diagnostic and descriptive analysis on teachers and students and other experiences related to the teaching profession.
- Micro Teaching:- Micro teaching enables students as future teachers to apply teaching techniques and principles that need to be mastered first in order to be implemented in classroom teaching. Students are also exposed and guided to prepare lesson plan, implementation of introduction, development and conclusion of a lesson, delivery techniques, students’ assessment, use of teaching aids and communication in classroom. Students are required to prepare a mock teaching to be presented in front of fellow classmates.
- Teaching Practice:- Teaching practice aims at enabling future teachers to apply all theories and teaching methods that they have learned inside a real classroom. It is one of the requirements that need to be fulfilled before the conferment of degree in Education. The duration of teaching practicum is at least 12 weeks and it is conducted at schools as set by the faculty.
- Industrial Training:- Industrial training is for students who specialized in Technical and Engineering Education. One of its purposes is to expose students to industrial activities and state of affairs. Students will gain working experiences in the related industry that helps them to use the knowledge gained in educational profession later on.
d. ICT and Multimedia subjects
The subjects emphasize on skills, mastery, knowledge and theoretical framework related to ICT and educational multimedia. It is especially designed to train future teachers in facing the challenges of their profession in todays’s ICT era. Future teachers will be exposed to theoretical framework as well as ICT and multimedia in the process of teaching and learning. Among the subjects offered are: ICT in Education, Teaching method in software development, Audio and Video technology, CD-Rom and web based multimedia and Programming language.
All programmes are managed through lectures, practical work and projects. Lectures are conducted every week according to schedules as determined by the faculty. Students will be exposed to practical exercises in labs or workshops or studios to gain related skill. Others than lectures and practical work, it is compulsory for all final year students to conduct a study which is either research base or software development or technological design. It is made compulsory for students to undergo practicum in school or/and industry during predetermined duration.
Assessment of each subject is continuously conducted throughout the semester based on course work and final exam. Course work assessment is based on quizzes, assignments, presentations and test. Course work assessment and final exam comprise of not more than 50% from the whole assessment. Assessment of certain subject like practical can be conducted based on course work. Assessment for practicum can be carried out by supervisors elected by the faculty according to procedures.
CONFERMENT OF DEGREE
Students who have completed the Bachelor of Education within the projected duration will be conferred with one of the following degrees according to their specializations:-
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Physics)
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Chemistry)
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Sport Science)
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Teaching English as Second Language)
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Islamic Studies)
- Bachelor of Technology with Education (Mechanical Engineering)
- Bachelor of Technology with Education (Living Skills)
- Bachelor of Technology with Education (Electric and Electronics)
- Bachelor of Technology with Education (Building Construction)